Withdrawing from School Due to Medical Problems

Written by
Published on March 2, 2016

Did you know that you can drop out of school at any point in the semester with no penalty? Of course, this is only for special cases but it is still possible. It is called a medical withdrawal.

Before last semester I had no idea this existed and I’m sure many of you didn’t either.

I found out about this because last semester I became extremely ill. I had a collapsed lung in the middle of the semester and I had no idea what to do. I was hospitalized for one week and then put on bed rest for an additional two weeks.

When it was time to return to class I had to talk to my teachers because I had missed a significant amount of class. None of them said anything about a medical leave. All they told me was that they can excuse me for missing two classes. Two didn’t help me because I already missed at least four.

Later that month I went to the Student Development office because I was stressed out about having to catch up and still keep up with the current assignments the same time. One of the counselors there recommended the medical withdrawal and I was surprised that the teachers didn’t suggest it. After I was informed of this I immediately went and received documentation of my hospital stay and filled out the paperwork and it was all set within the week.

If you have experienced any medical issues and you feel like you have missed too much school to catch up, this option may be for you.

It’s not for an upset stomach or a cold. It can only be used for major illnesses that keep you out of school for weeks. Be wise with this information because if it is used improperly you can lose your scholarship or financial aid.

To inquire about a medical withdrawal, contact the Dean of Students Office, LH-A110 or 203-332-5184 and your instructors of any chronic medical problem which may require accommodations and/or adjustments.  Documentation will be required.